Nuestros alumnos de las academias de inglés l’Ametlla del Vallès y La Garriga suelen tener dudas a la hora de utilizar las preposiciones AT, IN y ON, conocidas como «time expressions».
Por eso el post de hoy lo dedicamos a este tema: veremos el uso de estas preposiciones en inglés.
Tabla resumen del uso de preposiciones en inglés
Primero, echa un vistazo a esta tabla-resumen. Aquí encontrarás los usos de las preposiciones ilustrados con ejemplos.
|With points of time – The class starts at 9 o’clock – The exam will be at the end of the lesson – I woke up at midnight||With periods of time – My parents got married in 1983 – Her birthday is in April – America was discovered in the 15th century||With particular dates – He was born on July 14th – Christmas Day is on the 25th of December|
|With mealtimes – Why don’t we meet at lunchtime?||With parts of the day – Children go to school in the morning||With days and the word “weekday(s)” – The shop is closed on Tuesdays – If you want to avoid the crowds; it’s best to come on a weekday|
|With the word “night” (but not a particular night) – My sister prefers to study at night because it’s quieter||To say the period of time before something happens – Arnold will be in Argentina in 6 days’ time – I’ll be there in a moment||With parts of days – They always have a meeting on Monday morning – Why don’t we go to the cinema on Saturday night?|
|With the words “weekend(s)”; “Christmas” (as a period of time) & “Easter” – My wife works at the weekends – Children in my country don’t go to school at Christmas – They usually have a walking holiday at Easter||To say how long something takes – She did the exercises in just three minutes!||With types of days – My parents got married on a sunny day in 1983|
|With the expressions “at the moment/at present” & “at the same time” – I’m sorry but Mr Jones is busy at the moment – Our telephones rang at the same time!|
Y ahora, toca practicar.
Aquí tienes unas cuantas frases que debes completar con la preposición correcta. Al final del ejercicio encontrarás las soluciones para que puedas corregirlas.
- Mozart was born in Salzburg … 1756.
- I’ve been invited to a wedding … 14 February.
- Electricity prices are going up … October.
- … weekends, we often go for long walks in the country.
- I haven’t seen Kate for a few days. I last saw her … Tuesday.
- Jonathan is 63. He’ll be retiring from his job … two years’ time.
- There are usually a lot of parties … New Year’s Eve.
- I don’t like driving … night.
- My car is being repaired at the garage. It will be ready … two hours.
- My phone and the doorbell rang … the same time.
- My brother is an engineer, but he doesn’t have a job … the moment.
- Mary and David always go out for dinner … their wedding anniversary.
- It was a short book and easy to read. I read it … a day.
- … Saturday night I went to bed … midnight.
- We travelled overnight and arrived … 5 o’clock … the morning.
- The course begins … 7 January and ends sometime … April.
- I might not be at home … Tuesday morning, but I’ll be there … the afternoon.
Here are the answers
Exercises from R. Murphy (2012): English Grammar in Use, 4th Ed, Cambridge University