By A. Martínez, AIT English Language School
Read about this very talented family from Texas, USA.
The Hodgson family from Texas, USA are probably the most talented family in the country. Thomas is the father of the family. He’s 52 years old and he can do everything. He can run for a long time. Every day, he goes running in his neighborhood for 40 minutes. He can also swim very well. He swims for his state’s over-50 team!
Thomas can’t speak any foreign languages, but his wife, Judy, certainly can! She can speak French, Spanish and even Japanese. And she can teach them too. She works at the Pinewood Language Academy.
Thomas and Judy Hodgson have three children and they can all do many things too. Robbie, 23, can’t run for long distances like his father, but he can run very fast. He can run 100 meters in just 11 seconds. That’s very fast. He can also fly! Not like a bird, but using a hang-glider. He goes hang-gliding every weekend in the hills near the family home.
The middle child is Janine, who is 19. She’s similar to her mother and she loves foreign languages. She studies Italian and French and can speak both of them very well. When she’s with her mother, they can speak French and nobody in the house understands them!
Clara is the «baby» of the family. She’s only 9 years old. She can’t speak French and she can’t fly. What can she do? She can bake the best cakes in the world! And her parents and her brother and sister can eat them.
Are the following sentences about the «The Hodgsons Can!» reading True or False?
1. Thomas Hodgson is 56 years old.
2. He goes running every day near his house.
3. Thomas runs for a local team.
4. Thomas can’t speak any foreign languages.
5. Judy teaches her students to speak other languages.
6. The Hodgsons have two children.
7. Robbie can run 100m very quickly.
8. He also goes flying in a hang-glider every Thursday.
9. Janine is 19 and she is similar to her mother.
10. Clara is only nine years old and she can bake cakes.
Put one word into each gap to complete the sentence.
1. The family lives in the American state of ________.
2. ________ is the name of the father.
3. He likes swimming and ________.
4. He ________ speak any foreign languages.
5. Judy speaks English and ________ other languages.
6. Judy is a ________.
7. Robbie can’t run far, but he can run ________.
8. When Janine and Judy speak French, ________ in the family can understand them!
9. Clara can ________ very good cakes.
10. Her family ________ the cakes.